martedì 22 febbraio 2011

What a Day for a Daydream

February 12-13, 2011

I don't know how to describe my trip to Orbetello, other than to say that it was beautiful. It is definitely near the top if not my very favorite place I have visited so far. I got to hike up a mountain and relax by the sea all in one day. Orbetello was the town on the mainland, and it was connected to an island called Monte Argentario where we did most of our exploring. We hiked up to an old Spanish fort on the top of the hill that overlooked the gorgeous blue sea. I know I'll always look back happily on that quiet, peaceful moment, and even as I look back now I think it may have been the day that I became completely content here in Italy. Usually I look forward to coming back home to Viterbo, but that Sunday afternoon I would have been just as happy for time to stop so that I could stay on the island for just a few more days.



The picture above is the view of Porto San Stefano from a neighborhood overlooking the harbor.











Above is the other main port of the island, Porto Ericole.
 The water was so blue and clear, it didn't even look real. 






A nice little surprise came at the end of the trip when we had an hour to kill at our train stop in Rome. The station we had to stop at was San Pietro, so when we realized we were right next to the Vatican we ran over to see it again. I loved St. Peter's the first time I was there, but seeing it as the sun was setting over Rome was yet another new and beautiful site that I am so happy to have experienced.






More to come from my adventures in Italy soon!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento