venerdì 8 aprile 2011

Roma, revisited.

A few weeks ago I made a trip to Rome with a few friends, and even though this was my fourth time in Rome, there was still so many new things to see and do. We were also there at a great time, because March 17th is Italy's celebration of the country's unification, and this year is their 150th anniversary. The city was full of people there to celebrate and some of the buildings were lit up with green, white and red of the Italian flag. It is a little strange that a weekend trip to Rome is no big deal now that I have been here for a few months. I still appreciate it as an amazing city full of history, but I can also think of it now as just another familiar place, which is pretty unreal.
The weather was less than ideal for the first two days, as it poured rain almost non-stop, but our last day was beautiful and warm, as you'll notice in the pictures. Despite the weather, we got to see some things that we still hadn't visited in Rome, like Castel Sant'Angelo near the Vatican, the ancient site of the Circus Maximus where the Romans raced chariots, and the beautiful park at Villa Borghese, where I got to lay in the sun and catch up on some reading. In addition to those new experiences, I also go to revisit some familiar sights like the unification building and the Pantheon, but I saw them at night this time, which gave them a completely different look and feel. Rome never disappoints, and I enjoy it more each time I go there. Here are some pictures! 


















"I don't even know what I was running for - I guess I just felt like it." 
- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento