martedì 18 gennaio 2011

When in Rome...

I went on a group trip to Rome last Saturday, January 15th, and it was an amazing experience. Although I'll have to go back at least two or three more times to see everything I wanted to see, it was a great first visit that I'll always remember. The history I have read about and seen in movies was right there in front of my eyes, starting the minute we got off the subway at the "Colosseo" stop, which as you might guess, took us straight to the Colosseum. It was impressive to say the least. Here are some of the best shots I got from outside and inside, and the last picture is the view out from the middle level.











Next, I got to venture through the archaeological site of the ancient Roman forum, and loved every minute of it. Even though most of it is in ruins, the things that remain intact are so grand and massive, I can't imagine what it would have been like there in the glory days when Rome was caput mundi – capitol of the world. The forum was home to all the most important political, economic and religious bases of the ancient world, and just the fact that I got to walk around in it and see the Senate house, the triumphal archs, the temples/churches, and the platform where all of the most well-known Roman leaders gave their speeches to the Roman people was pretty outstanding. 







The last major stop of the day was the Trevi Fountain, which was absolutely gorgeous. I had no idea. Of course I'd seen it before in pictures and in movies, but to be in front of it with the sun shining down on the marble (while I ate the best gelato of my trip so far), was unreal. I can't believe people get to sit there and eat lunch every day on the steps, listening to the water, and that is normal life for them. Crazy. Along with the rest of Rome, this was a site I'd love to share with my family and friends one day, hopefully sooner than later! 




Until next time, ciao!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento